Wulf Moon's SUPER S...

Notifications
Clear all

Wulf Moon's SUPER SECRETS Workshop & Challenge!

5,363 Posts
134 Users
0 Reactions
916 K Views
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @rjklee

@swiftpotato That Haunt You Forever prompt really inspired an interesting story that I'm still working through. Looking forward to the next prompt!

I posted the Monday Prompt this time, Ryland. It was in the workshop announcement. Here it is again: Your Monday prompt is SUDDEN IMPACT.

Click here to JOIN THE WULF PACK!
"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : May 10, 2021 7:59 pm
(@rjklee)
Bronze Star Member

Thank you! I totally missed it. Excellent prompt.

R.J.K. Lee
WotF 2021: SHM, R, R, S-F
2020: HMx2, Rx2
2019: Rx4
2018: N/A
2017; HMx2, Rx2
2016: HMx2, Rx2
2015: Rx1
Publications:
Stone Shaper Tanukis Estranged in Dark Cheer: Cryptids Emerging - Volume Blue (Improbable Press, 12/13/2021)
Memo from the Jolly Overlords on the Weird Christmas Podcast (12/2020). I read my story at the 22:10 mark in the flash fiction contest episode.
Monthly updates on where to submit your creative work: https://figmentsdiehard.blogspot.com/

Posted : May 10, 2021 9:02 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Read this wonderful article our very own Brittany Perry Rainsdon wrote for the Writers of the Future Blog!

https://writersofthefuture.com/when-belief-becomes-reality/

"Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler" won Best SFF Story of 2019! Read it in Writers of the Future, Vol. 35. Order HERE!
Need writing help? My award-winning SUPER SECRETS articles are FREE in DreamForge.
IT’S HERE! Many have been begged me to publish the Super Secrets of Writing. How to Write a Howling Good Story is now a #1 BESTSELLING BOOK! Get yours at your favorite retailer HERE!

Posted : May 13, 2021 2:24 pm
David Hankins, cabarrett, CCrawford and 1 people reacted
(@cabarrett)
Bronze Member

Hi everyone,

This pilot's getting discharged from Top Gun - I've had some medical news that is going to define the rest of my year and need to take writing deadlines off the table for a bit. I have learned so much from Commander Wulf's classes and critique of my work, and from critiques and conversations with all of you. Keep writing without me! I'll be back to congratulate you all when the next wave of results comes around, because this group is closing in on the target.

salute

Vol36 - HM
Vol 37 - Finalist (upcoming on Podcastle), HM (published by Mysterion)
Vol38 - Q1 SHM, Q2 HM, Q4 pending...

Posted : May 16, 2021 7:37 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @cabarrett

Hi everyone,

This pilot's getting discharged from Top Gun - I've had some medical news that is going to define the rest of my year and need to take writing deadlines off the table for a bit. I have learned so much from Commander Wulf's classes and critique of my work, and from critiques and conversations with all of you. Keep writing without me! I'll be back to congratulate you all when the next wave of results comes around, because this group is closing in on the target.

salute

Catherine, as I've always said, life comes first. It was our pleasure having you in the workshop, and I'm happy you earned a professional edit from me before you had to leave. We are sad to see you go, but the great thing about the writer's journey is that it's not going anywhere. You step to the side of the path to take care of necessary things, and when you step back on, you never lose your place. You just keep moving forward once again.

To you and your family's good health in the days ahead! Today, we salute YOU.

salute

Commander "Beastmaster" Moon

Posted : May 16, 2021 7:53 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

@cabarrett so sorry to hear - all my best to you and your family! As Moon said, was lovely to have you in the workshop. ❤️

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinites x2! PodCastle, Spirit Machine; forthcoming in Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Apex Magazine, Human Monsters

Posted : May 17, 2021 5:37 am
cabarrett and Wulf Moon reacted
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

All right, folks, it's that time. Today's Monday prompt is: FLOWERING IN EXILE.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!
Stories in Apocalyptic, Cossmass Infinites x2! PodCastle, Spirit Machine; forthcoming in Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Apex Magazine, Human Monsters

Posted : May 17, 2021 5:38 am
(@ccrawford)
Silver Member

Posted by: @cabarrett

Hi everyone,

salute

We will miss you! I've loved having you in our critique group. You know you always have a place here with us! If you ever want something critiqued, send it my way.

Wishing you and your family the best. ❤️

v35: Q4 - HM
V36: R, R, R, R
V37: SHM, HM, HM, SHM
V38: SHM, HM, HM, HM
V39: HM, R, SHM, HM
Indie author of The Lex Chronicles (Legends of Arameth), and the in-progress Leyward Stones series--including my serial, Macchiatos, Faerie Princes, and Other Things That Happen at Midnight, currently available on Kindle Vella.
Website: http://ccrawfordwriting.com. I also have a newsletter and a blog!
Short story "Our Kind" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #5, and also "One Shot at Aeden" published in DreamForge Anvil, Issue #7!

Posted : May 17, 2021 6:55 am
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

@cabarrett I will miss you. Maybe someday I can go visit you since we are almost neighbors. When you can, write a story and send it my way. Best wishes to you and your loved ones hearts  

Vol. 36: 3rd -- R, 4th -- R
Vol. 37: R, HM, HM, SHM
Vol. 38: HM, HM, HM, HM
Vol. 39: SHM, RWC, RWC, HM
Vol. 40: HM, R, RWC, R
Vol. 41: R, 2nd -- HM, 3rd -- HM, 4th -- WIP

Amateur published stories:
"The Tell-Tale Cricket" in The Murderbugs Anthololgy
"Follow the Pretrons" in Martian Magazine, and a Critters Award
"Eyes and Hands" in Galaxy's Edge Magazine
"The Last Dance" in Parliament of Wizards, LTUE anthology
"My Ten Cents" in Sci Fi Lampoon
Professional Publication:
"Invasion" in Daily Science Fiction

Posted : May 17, 2021 7:02 am
storysinger
(@storysinger)
Platinum Plus

Best of fortune to you Caberrett. I hope you can keep subbing to the contest while you face your trials.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow's reality-D.R.Sweeney
HM x5
Published Poetry
2012 Stars in Our Hearts
Silver Ships

Posted : May 18, 2021 9:56 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

A quick report that my webinar workshop "Nail Your Opening" sold out all 50 spaces last Saturday. I donated all proceeds from this workshop to help DreamForge Anvil magazine pay more hopeful writers for their stories, writers like YOU. It is my desire that many of you will eventually be published in this magazine and earn your first respectable sale! Or your second, or your third. Smile The great gift about selling to DreamForge is not only is it a beautiful showcase for your work, they do a custom illustration for each story they publish. You may not be aware of how unique this is, but professionally published writers can go for years without getting custom art because it presents added cost to the publication. And for new writers? Nearly impossible, unless you win Writers of the Future. It's a tremendous bonus, and a thrill to see an artist capture a vision from your mind and weave it into a work of gorgeous art. Long live DreamForge Anvil!

I had several tell me the webinar sold out before they could enroll, or that they enjoyed it so much, they wish to take it again. So I'm doing an overflow Zoom workshop next Saturday, May 29th, from 10 a.m. to Noon PDT (Pacific Time). This one will have an added module on one of my most important teachings: Heart's Desire and the Reader/Hero Bond. I'm expanding the webinar to two hours total time for this one. Some in here were the ones that told me it sold out before they found out about it, so this overflow workshop is for you. Smile

I'm pleased when people sign up for the same class again. That's unusual, and yet it has happened over and over again with my classes. I'm happy I'm connecting with my audience, but there's a Secret here, too. The more your brain works on a subject, the deeper the seed is planted. If a concept can take root, your subconscious is going to start implementing it without you even thinking about it. Writing improves as a natural course. But first, we must fully grasp the concept.

There's a link in my signature if you're interested.

Have a great weekend all! Don't miss Echo Chernik's AMA today! She's the coordinating judge of the Illustrators of the Future Contest! And if you're writing this weekend, I leave you with this: Tension drives plot. High stakes create tension. Upping the ante as your plot progresses creates spellbinding page turners. So....STAY ON TARGET!

All the beast!

Beastmaster Moon

https://tenor.com/view/star-wars-stay-on-target-y-wing-gold5-gif-5204982

Posted : May 22, 2021 10:41 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Congrats on the sold out webinar, Moon Smile that's fantastic news!

Additionally, somehow we have come around to Monday again! Not sure how that keeps happening...in any case, today's Monday prompt is: WARNING SIGN UNHEEDED.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : May 24, 2021 5:45 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Posted by: @swiftpotato

Congrats on the sold out webinar, Moon Smile that's fantastic news!

Additionally, somehow we have come around to Monday again! Not sure how that keeps happening...in any case, today's Monday prompt is: WARNING SIGN UNHEEDED.

Thanks for keeping up with the Monday writing prompt, oh Speediest of Root Vegetables! I know many use them to create stories, and of course, must use one each month for their KYD requirement if they're in the Top Gun year. We'll have to Vulcan mind meld and create a new set soon. Cheers!

Posted : May 24, 2021 2:47 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Thanks for keeping up with the Monday writing prompt, oh Speediest of Root Vegetables! I know many use them to create stories, and of course, must use one each month for their KYD requirement if they're in the Top Gun year. We'll have to Vulcan mind meld and create a new set soon.

Thanks for the congrats on the workshop I did for the DreamForge Anvil fundraiser. Selling out all 50 spots to help raise funds to publish hopeful writers made us all smile. Several asked for more, or told me it sold out before they could enroll. So I decided to do an overflow workshop this Saturday, announced this weekend, and already 7 out of the 20 openings are gone. I think this one will sell out as well! And this time, it's for two hours because attendees get the bonus module of "Heart's Desire and the Reader/Hero Bond." My best kept Secret--it's how you make the judge or editor cry. Do that, and you have a winner on your hands. It's the Secret sauce within my WotF winner, "Super-Duper Moongirl and the Amazing Moon Dawdler." I believe every writer cooking up stories worth savoring must include this Secret sauce.

In fact, Southeastern Writers Association hired me to write an article on the recipe for their new newsletter. It was just released today! Want to get a sneak peak of what I'll be teaching at the Zoom workshop this Saturday? You can for FREE! Here you go! And if you'd like to learn more about the workshop, check out the workshop link in my signature. Before this one sells out!

Cheers!

Beastmaster Moon

https://shoutout.wix.com/so/e5NcRPP29?languageTag=en

Posted : May 24, 2021 3:04 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

THE BEST OF DEEP MAGIC ANTHOLOGY TWO!

Three Super Secrets Workshop Alumni in this one!

KD Julicher

Brittany Perry Rainsdon

and Wulf Moon

The stories in this anthology are chosen as the Top Gun of the last two years of Deep Magic magazine, known for publishing stories of positivity and wonder. Read these stories. Consider it an assignment. Strong fiction teaches you how to write strong fiction!

Super proud of Kate and Brit’s accomplishment! It is no simple feat to get into this anthology. MANY bestselling writers were published in their pages over the last two years, and the table of contents reflects that. I was told by a board member the publisher, Jeff Wheeler, pays no attention to names, only to the quality of the story. And the entire staff—board and first readers—picked these as their best. You know it’s going to be good.

Here’s how to order in Kindle or paperback. May the Force be with you in your writing!

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Deep-Magic-Anthology-collections-ebook/dp/B09485CTDP/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Posted : May 26, 2021 8:02 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

I'll be the guest speaker for the Parsec Meeting next month. You are welcome to attend, but only if you bring the doughnuts. Cool  

You do need to register in order to receive the meeting codes. I hope to see you there!

https://www.facebook.com/events/882374668978146?event_time_id=882374668978146&ref=newsfeed

Posted : May 27, 2021 2:25 pm
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Let's get you your Monday prompt. Yes, it's Tuesday, but with a time machine, anything is possible!

I'll give you a few choices:

DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

MAGICAL BACKFIRE

TECHNOLOGICAL BACKFIRE

Have at them. Those in this Top Gun SUPER SECRETS year use them for their monthly KYD requirement. Check out the Kill Your Darlings Excercise in the TOC on the first post of this topic to learn how KYD is done!

You have your mission. Happy hunting. Dismissed!

Commander "Beastmaster" Moon

Posted : June 1, 2021 12:13 pm
R.J.K. Lee, storysinger, Scott_M_Sands and 1 people reacted
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

@wulfmoon I luv these prompts! Hard to choose which one salute  

Posted : June 1, 2021 2:45 pm
Wulf Moon reacted
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Happy Monday once again, folks! Today's Monday prompt is: EVERY VERSION OF YOURSELF.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : June 7, 2021 9:02 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

3 act structure IG[8694]

One scoop, or two? Go ahead, take three in my latest SUPER SECRETS article at DreamForge Anvil magazine: "The Three-Act Structure, à la Moon."

I was very happy to get this comment sent to me by a Top Gun Super Secrets' member today. It's Candice!

"I gave your DreamForge article 5 stars and clicked it as a favorite. You took something that sometimes takes a whole book to describe, and made it easy to understand! And you made it fun and entertaining to read about! Not at all like a trigonometry lesson. My 3 scoops are chocolate chip mint, thank you very much."

Want a taste? FREE ICE CREAM! Head on over to DreamForge Anvil and get a scoop of the flavor of the day by clicking HERE!

Posted : June 13, 2021 6:00 pm
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Hey, folks! We're already back here again! Today's Monday prompt is: DEFENDING THE WRONG SIDE.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : June 14, 2021 7:10 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

2021 06 19 WulfMoon SocialShare[8568]

https://parsec-sff.org/blog/2021/05/31/june-2021-parsec-meeting/

Just a reminder. This Saturday, I'm the guest speaker for the monthly Parsec Meeting. This is the group that hosts the Confluence Convention in Pittsburgh each year, as well as sponsoring a contest for aspiring writers. My presentation is titled "Perseverance Yields Rewards." I hope you can join us! It's this Saturday, June 19th, and while the meeting begins at 1 pm EST, my presentation starts at 2 pm EST. You do need to sign up on their Facebook page to get the Zoom codes. See you there!

Here's their copy:

June 2021 Parsec Meeting

Join us for the June Parsec meeting on Saturday June 19 at 1:00 pm EST.

Wulf Moon will be our guest speaker. His topic is,
Perseverance Yields Rewards
The definition of success is getting up one more time than you have fallen. Wulf Moon has fallen many times, as have other writers, but success is determined by how you deal with the setbacks, and how you find the power to stand back up and continue the climb.

The meeting will be held via Zoom: Parsec meeting REGISTRATION Link
If you previously registered, you can use the same link Zoom sent you last month.
If you lost that link just click on the registration link and Zoom will send you a new meeting link.

Please check into the EVENT PAGE ON FACEBOOK and let us know you will be attending.

Feel free to invite a friend or post the information on your own social media pages.
Parsec meetings are always free to attend and open to the public!

Posted : June 15, 2021 11:38 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

If any of you entered a sub to the 2021 Parsec Awards, the winners will be announced at the Parsec Meeting that I’m the guest speaker at. See above to sign up—it’s this Saturday! And if you’re an aspiring writer, you really should be entering if you qualify. Come join us, it’s a free event!

Posted : June 17, 2021 10:40 am
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

The Parsec Meeting begins soon. My presentation begins at 2 pm EST. I hope to see some of you there!

https://parsec-sff.org/blog/2021/05/31/june-2021-parsec-meeting/
Parsec

Posted : June 19, 2021 8:36 am
SwiftPotato
(@swiftpotato)
Silver Star Member

Happy Monday, folks! Today's Monday prompt is: SKY STALKER.

R, 3rd place Q4 v36!!!

Posted : June 21, 2021 5:57 am
crlisle
(@crlisle)
Gold Member

hm My 2nd Quarter entry got a HM! I am thrilled! 

Posted : June 25, 2021 4:21 pm
empressed, Scott_M_Sands, AliciaCay and 2 people reacted
RETreasure
(@rschibler)
Platinum Member

@crlisle Congratulations!

I got a SHM, but honestly I'm pretty happy with that result. Good luck to everyone!

V34: R,HM,R
V35: HM,R,R,HM
V36: R,HM,HM,SHM
V37: HM,SF,SHM,SHM
V38: (P)F, SHM, F, F
V39: SHM, SHM, HM, SHM
Published Finalist Volume 38
Pro’d out Q4V39
www.rebeccaetreasure.com

Managing Editor, Apex Magazine

Posted : June 25, 2021 4:42 pm
empressed, Scott_M_Sands, AliciaCay and 2 people reacted
(@wulfmoon)
Platinum Plus Moderator
Topic starter

Congratulations to Candice and Becky! I'm always happy to see Super Secrets' members place! Onward to Q3! And a reminder to all in the Top Gun workshop, please post your results. It encourages all, and it helps me to see who gets the next line-by-line edits. Cheers!

Posted : June 25, 2021 4:56 pm
crlisle reacted
(@ajzach)
Bronze Star Member

I got another HM

V35: R, R, R
V36: R, HM, R, HM
V37: HM, R, SF, HM
V38: HM, HM, HM, SHM
V39: HM, HM, SHM, RWC
V40: HM, SHM, HM, SHM
V41: RWC, ?
"The Soul of Trees" published in Third Flatiron's Things With Feathers: Stories of Hope

Posted : June 25, 2021 5:13 pm
ZeeTeeBeeZ
(@zeeteebeez)
Bronze Star Member

HM. 

I suppose I could look on the bright side and acknowledge that I’m in the midst of my longest streak of HM’s. Yes, I’ll focus on that.

9 x HM
V38 Q4 2nd Place
Mike Resnick Memorial Award winner 2021 https://www.galaxysedge.com/
www.ztbright.com

Posted : June 25, 2021 6:25 pm
Page 128 / 179
Share: